Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Analyzing Sequels: Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks


So I finally saw Rainbow Rocks, the sequel to Equestria Girls, a movie in which well……if I may toot my own horn, I did a write up of it, and that’s always been one of my favorite write ups I’ve done. I’ll link it below but, Equestria Girls was a really fun movie I ended up having a real positive experience with, and had a lot of fun interesting things to say about it. So I was curious to know how I’d find the sequel:



And I have to say after watching Rainbow Rocks my general thoughts on it are that…….it was pretty much exactly what I expected it to be, for better or worse. It felt a lot like Equestria Girls, where it was just the first one kind of all over again. New evil villain who has evil plan, Twilight must return to the world to help, go through dramatic and tense scenes, have fights and discord, discover the answer is friendship, have lots of good songs, some great writing and awesome funny moments, and yeah, it, felt very similar to the first Equestria Girls. Unlike the first one though which I loved to death I can’t say I felt similar with this one.

Not that I disliked it or anything though! Don’t get me wrong! I did truly enjoy it, and I was smiling and laughing at a lot of it, it was great really. Just, I found it interesting that I didn’t fall in love with it like I did the first one, and I wondered, why? What’s going on here?

I think the obvious solution is simply that, while I have no problem with sequels being similar to their predecessors, I’d still like them to be different in some way, or better or have some cool new things, and I unfortunately didn’t really get that vibe with Rainbow Rocks. The villain felt similar to Sunset in the first film, the plot also felt similar, even the humor was still about oh look it’s that character from the pony world and look at the silly way they do our life stuff mixed with equestria, the general pinkie silliness, the characters too were similar, with the exception of Sunset Shimmer, which is why she might have been my favorite part of the film, but overall yeah it, to me at least, I apologize if you felt differently and aren’t enjoying this, but Rainbow Rocks didn’t feel very different from the first one to me, and like there wasn’t really anything new here that the first one didn’t have, Sunset aside.

But even then actually, Sunset felt a lot like Twilight of the first Equestria Girls to me, where it’s a character who’s confused and lost and makes mistakes that has people judge her wrongly, and through the story they learn more about how to be themselves or something and find the answer hidden inside, and yeah, I guess even then Sunset didn’t feel that different and new to me. So that could be a reason.



But I think there are other reasons as well, some more personal ones if you will. First, I think the other obvious one is simply that Rainbow Rocks isn’t the first. It’s a reason why some bronies still call the first season of Friendship is Magic the best, and maybe why I’ll always have a soft spot for it, is that it’s the first one. As a result it feels the most new to you, and it surprises you the most for that reason. It’s true of all franchises I think where the first installment is always special for being the first, and I think that definitely plays a part here.

As I said, I went into Rainbow Rocks with a good idea of what to expect, and got exactly what I expected. But with the first Equestria Girls, that couldn’t of been more wrong. I had no idea what to expect going into that movie, it was going to be an MLP movie, holy crap, and it’s going to have them going to a human world, oh my god, I couldn’t have had a smaller idea of what was going to happen in Equestria Girls, and I think that’s a big reason why the movie blew me away so much and I loved it, was that I didn’t know what to expect and got something amazing. With Rainbow Rocks, I was expecting something amazing, so it didn’t feel as special. It’s about perspective, and I would say that having the perspective of the first film, caused me to have a greater idea of what to expect, so I wasn’t really surprised by anything in Rainbow Rocks. Nothing stood out for me.

And I feel like honestly that is the main reason why I ended up enjoying the first one so much more than the second, was that I just had such a more memorable experience with it, and I got much more immersed in the film.

If I try and remember what it was like when I first watched Equestria Girls, what I remember is just so much more energy and passion. I was super excited for this because it was a movie and it was gonna take place in this strange world, or rather I was nervouscited, as I was scared it was gonna be terrible. I remember when it released in theaters I intensely monitored forums to see what people thought and get an idea of what would become of this bomb shell of a film. I remember fighting the urge to watch a version on youtube with not good quality and waiting for the DVD to come out to watch it there. And I just remember being so into this film, like the moment it started I was super attentive, just all into the effects and story, and there was just so much more energy in me with the first film, and I think as a result I got so much more into it and really loved it.



The second one on the other hand was very much the opposite, which is kind of weird considering how much I loved the first one. I think I saw my love of the first one as a fluke, so I was kind of scared to watch the 2nd one, and I remember keeping up with the early shorts as they released, but then over time it just…..I dunno, I lost interest. I don’t know why but, when it came out I barely bothered to look it up, I could of watched it so long ago, but I didn’t just due to me being lazy and not into it, I only ended up watching it because I got a friend of mine to help with it and basically get it for me. I didn’t watch the 2nd one because I was excited to, I watched it because I was bored and had nothing else to do.

And I think those 2 differing mind sets, those 2 different experiences I was going through, greatly influenced how much I got into the 2nd film. I remember that even though the ending of the first film was pretty predictable, I got so into it, and I loved it, and I was just staring at my computer screen in awe. With this 2nd film I just wasn’t able to get into it like that, I knew the ending from a mile away, and apparently that was a problem for me here where it wasn’t in the first film.

I think this is another reason why, I don’t really have anything to say on the themes and morals of Rainbow Rocks, unlike Equestria Girls where I did that giant write up that’s at the top of this write up. I’m not quite sure why, as this film did have morals and I liked them, but, maybe they felt too similar to the friendship themes of the first film to me, or maybe it was just the experiences, but for some reason I just didn’t walk away from Rainbow Rocks thinking so much and analyzing and connecting them, I just wasn’t hit hard by it in any way like I was the first, and what I’m getting at here is the importance of perspective.

See it’s funny but, I think the exact opposite is true for lots of bronies out there. I feel like a lot of bronies went into the first one with negative expectations, ready to hate it, just being cynical, didn’t care for it and only watched it cause they had nothing to do, and as a result wasn’t a big fan of it. But then by the time the 2nd film came out, those expectations had dwindled, they’d accepted it by now, maybe the comics that covered the world of Equestria Girls helped, but regardless they went into the 2nd film with a much more positive outlook, and a result liked it more and took more away from it and found it more memorable.

And the point I’m getting at with this write up is simply that, perspective is important, and I think it’s something that needs to be brought up more. I do think I would have enjoyed Rainbow Rocks more if I had better experiences with it, and vice versa for the first film. And I think both are awesome films in their own right that all MLP fans should see, but I also just, found it really interesting how different I found the 2 and what different experiences I had with them. I greatly loved the first film, while the second one I enjoyed but didn’t find memorable at all.


And that’s really all I wanted to share. That is how I feel about both Equestria Girls movies, and I think says something about the importance of being new, being different, and just being something that people will get excited about, and not react to negatively. And yeah, I’m not quite sure how to wrap this up but, I hope you took something away from this, and that you maybe could think about how your experiences with things have changed your opinions on them. I would love to hear all about your thoughts and experiences with these films, feel free to share, and thank you so so much to anyone who read this. I really appreciate the time you took for it and yeah, I hope you have a lovely day. Take care, and remember, friendship is magic~


6 comments:

  1. Hey Appleshy, this is Northern Verve ^^

    Strange to hear that you actually liked the first more since the overwhelming majority usually say Rainbow Rocks far surpassed the first. Even from my own views.

    As you probably know, my view on the first movie was... rather mixed to say the least. There were plenty of good moments like Spike's role, some amusing comedy moments and at least one really, really catchy song (The Cafeteria one). But I've always felt the story was not that interesting, Sunset also not impressive, and especially the very idea and existence of Flash Sentry in the movie makes me groan for every second he's on screen in both Equestria Girls films. Because of this, I can't score the first movie any higher then a 5 out of 10.

    And when I got word a sequel was coming I wasn't all that happy about it because I misunderstood why they need to have another. And I was afraid everything that I disliked about the first was going to show it's ugly face again in the 2nd. (Which while some of it did in fact, especially Flash Sentry, it definitely wasn't as much as I once thought) When it was confirmed that Pony Twilight was coming back to the human world, my expectations for the movie hit near rock bottom. Cause I was thinking that at least the first movie had an excuse because Twilight had to get her Element of Magic back. But now they're sending her back all willy-nilly and either we were going to find out just how long 30 moons are in Equestria or they were going to have some sort of Deus ex Machina that makes the time limit from the first movie entirely pointless. Which the movie did in fact kinda do the latter with the transdimensional message book and Twilight randomly using some magic machinery things to making it open the portal so she can come across it any time.

    (Cont. in 2nd Comment. Sorry, went over the character limit for comments xD)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. But anyway, I finally did get to watching it at some point through the same method that I watched the first (A Camrip quality of the movie in the theaters) cause I didn't feel like paying money for something I was so unsure about. And it turned out, maybe in part due to my low expectations really, really good compared to how the first movie went because the story felt more solid. I liked the Dazzlings more then Sunset because not only were they at least a little interesting, but their songs were the best of the movie bar none. Flash Sentry was still a problem though, he had less screentime then he did in the first but somehow he still proved more annoying and/or cringeworthy in his time in Rainbow Rocks then his parts of the first movie. Also Spike wasn't as useful in this movie besides getting Vinyl to help the HuMane 5, Twilight, and Sunset. But overall, like I said the story was more solid, the humor was even funnier, the songs from an overall sense were an improvement over the first which for the exception of the cafeteria song didn't have many memorable songs IMHO. Twilight may have gone back but she wasn't entirely the thing that saved the day and was even made a great moral between her and Sunset about having expectations from others get the better of you when you're expected to instantly just turn things around or on Sunset's side when you're not thought of part of the solution when you were once the huge problem.

      (Con't again xD)

      Delete
    3. But what really got me going is the teaser thing after with Human Twilight. Cause this is actually what I've been asking the Equestria Girls series to do so it can finally deviate it from the main series for good. (I'm a little bummed they have the alternate Spike literally just a dog, but to be honest I'm unfortunately kinda used to Spike getting the short side of the stick most of the time. Oh I dream of the day we get more of the Crystal Empire Fear Door-esque scene stuff...) Cause before it was confirmed Pony Twilight was coming back, I was hoping the Twilight in the 2nd would be a new Twilight even if now I understand why they wouldn't do that because then you have to have the awkward "This isn't the same Twilight" introduction stuff in a film that already includes such things like the Dazzlings and the Rock concert, threatening to overload the film just like how much the first movie had to introduce. Cause if there's another Twilight, it can really bring an interesting dynamic and character interaction where at first the HuMane 5 think the Twilight is the Pony Twilight they knew only to find out it's not. And also it's a neat callback to what was essentially a pretty one-off line from Pinkie in the first film that there is an alternate Twilight. Heck introducing Human Twilight may even fix my big problems with Flash Sentry as a whole, I won't explain too much further but if you want me to elaborate on how Human Twilight could fix my issues with Flash please say so. But yeah, Human Twilight alone has made me interested in seeing a 3rd Equestria Girls movies which is amazing given how I was mixed on the first film and didn't even want a 2nd. My greatest compliment for the 2nd that it actually turned me around like a complete 180 in regards to wanting more Equestria Girls. Cause now I can't wait until we see what happens when this alternate Twilight meets the HuMane 5 assuming she's probably like Season 1 Twilight because she hasn't experienced the friendship that the Pony Twilight has received in four seasons, I'm even looking forward to when this Twilight meets Flash (Well.... as long as they don't do something entirely stupid like having this Twilight instantly fall head-over-heels for Flash. Because then it'd entirely ruin what I'd hope would happen), and of course the possibility of Human Twilight meeting the Pony Twilight when she comes over. An Equestria Girls 3 looks to be especially interested and would be the first time I've actually looked forward to something in the Equestria Girls series. And that's huge.

      I think this is enough, (Rather long comment I guess xD) but I hope you enjoy this response I'm giving you AppleShy. Good to hear from you on things like this ^^

      Delete
    4. Hey Verve, thanks for your nice response and taking the time to read this, was a good read.

      Yeah from what I've seen most seem to regard the sequel as better, and the songs and villains as well, but I dunno, they didn't hit me very hard in any way, similar to the songs and villains of the first one, save for the cafeteria song, but you know, maybe a rewatch will change my mind.

      Interesting too on the human twilight. I concur that it was a nice ending and nice way to give the world more continuity and sense, and yeah, it would be cool to see like a reverse of the first film maybe where the other 5 teach twilight about friendship instead of Twi teaching them. Who knows what they'll do, but I'll be keeping an eye on it.

      Thanks too, I dunno if you'll see me on the forum anymore, but I'll definitely try to keep doing write ups like this for the show. ^^

      Delete
    5. Yeah, it's just when you said that Equestria Girls serves as a perfect sequel to Magical Mystery Cure. I disagree because I feel that's what the Season 4 opener basically was. There was some confusion at one point when Meghan said she considers Magical Mystery Cure Part 1 of 3 episodes. And some mistook Equestria Girls as possibly Parts 2 and 3 when she really meant the Season 4 opener I'm pretty sure. It even had some of the same themes that you got out of your watch with Equestria Girls about how Twilight and her friends can get used to change and the opener addressed many of the concerns people had with Twilight's ascension. Equestria Girls kinda had some of that but it feels overshadowed by it introducing an entirely different world as well as overloading plot points such as Twilight trying to both befriend the HuMane 5 and heal their destroyed friendships along with Sunset's plan and it's easy for everything to get quite boggled when there was just too much to show and little time to do it.

      But anyway, yeah I'm quite excited for what EQG3 has in store. I want to see Pony Twilight meet up with Human Twilight especially. If you remember that Human Twilight hasn't had the same experience of Friendship as Pony Twi does. It's like having Post-Season 5 (I assume they'll have EQG3 out after S5 is over) Twilight however she develops then meeting up with her self from before the series even started. Human Twi should remind her very much of how she was at one point and really give even more of a metaphorical sense to the mirror portal. They may look the same, but experience-wise these are two very different Twilights. And it would be very entertaining to see how that goes when they meet. ^^

      Delete