Sunday, February 14, 2016

My Undertale Playthrough - Part 3: Waterfall


Hello and welcome! This is part 3 of my Undertale experience, where here I shall share my journey through the Waterfall segment of the game. Without further ado, let’s a go!




First, let’s go back to this really great structure I feel the game has in its tone. In the spirit of being serious, than lighthearted, than serious again, I thought that the waterfall area with Undyne was a return to the serious dilemma of emotion for the game. I think the game does an excellent job of transitioning to this with the Sans scene, and the introduction of Undyne. I didn’t think much of it on my first play, but in hindsight, I really like the Sans scene. It shows that while he’s a great laid back guy to have fun with, he knows of the secret things going on in this world, and it’s clear that amongst this lighthearted fun guy there’s a more serious side to him, fitting of the game’s world really. I also remember when having food I picked a burger and no ketchup, because well, that’s what I would pick.



The Undyne scene is great too because I love how we first see her interacting with Papyrus. The silly fun Papyrus we just befriended who promised a great time, this will be fine right?...yeah.



I think that’s what makes the scene so powerful. We just befriended Papyrus and it looks like everything’s going to be fine…only to have it all crushed by Undyne as she gets him to assist her. I like too how we don’t even hear what she says, it adds a great air of mystery to her, and allows the player to interpret what was said to convince Papyrus to side with her.

Speaking of Undyne, where the main feelings of the Ruins were about being loved and taken care of, and the confliction of disagreeing and having to come into battle with a friend, the feelings of the waterfall area clearly center around fear. Undyne was terrifying and I think I died during the 2nd time she attacks you relentlessly, something I learned few others do during their plays….I wonder what that means for my skills as a gamer. :p



I remember too when Undyne first attacks you it took a while for me to realize you were supposed to run. So she ended up throwing like 4 spears at me while I stood there before catching on haha.



Anyways, I liked how this area returned to the serious vibe with some backstory and lore to the monster and humans, in which you learn more of their differences, why the humans won the war, what the monsters’ plan is underground, and what they would do with your soul. It creates great tension to prepare things for the climactic battle against Undyne, and also helps you to understand where she’s coming from. You can see why she’s so against humans, and why she wants to kill you so badly.



Then there was the Dummy battle. Ah yes, I remember when I first got to the dummy I punched it, than as the battle started I immediately regretted it. I wondered what would happen if I hadn’t punched it, but alas, I won the battle on my first go, so I wouldn’t be able to find out. In hindsight, I wonder why I punched the Dummy, as I was going for pacifist. I dunno, maybe I wanted to hit something after being nearly killed by Undyne. :p

Also I loved the Dummy. His over exaggerations of everything, plus forgetting his cousin’s name, and his knives all cracked me up so much.



And then…the return of Napstablook! I remember being so happy to see him back and I may have gotten emotional and I wanted to hug him but then he kept talking in a sad low self confident way and aw I got sad and I wanted to hug him and make him happy so bad cause he’s my baby and I wub him. ;-;



Really liked that we got to see his place too and learn a little more about him. I remember enjoying his 3 tunes, with the Spookwave one being my favorite. I also loved it when the image of space came up while we lied down and felt like garbage. I spent a good few minutes on that, that was silly and lovely.



After that I remember returning to the save point and then calling Papyrus. From him I learned that Undyne’s house was to the top left of the area, so I never went to that area for my own safety haha. I went to the snail farm next and then the thundersnail racing, where Napstablook and I got to race and have a good time. This game was…interesting…like everyone does on their first play I spammed the Z button so hard my snail went nowhere. However, I was determined, so I kept at it, and after I think 4 tries, I was able to win! The prize…made me laugh quite a bit, and ah I loved getting to hang out with the cutie Napsty, he’s so great and lovely. :3



After that I remember noticing my box was getting full and that I should look into selling things…and then learned that that is only possible at Temmie Village. So I carried on and marched forward, making it to the part in which Undyne almost battles you, only to be stopped by that lovely Monster Kid. At this point my partner I was playing with, shyvines, asked me if I’d found Temmie Village, saying that they had! So I looked around, couldn’t find anything, think I may have game overed, and eventually asked for help, and was able to find Temmie Village with his help.



And what a place it was…I like it. I remember when I first encountered Temmie I was smiling so much…such a great enemy. :3



Oh yes, how could I have forgotten, and then there was shyren! Yes, I remember liking her a lot when I encountered her. I spared her instantly, and then headed to the piano room to the north and had no idea what to do. I admit, a part of me wanted to look up the answer, but I refrained, since I wanted my first play to be genuine. I remember thinking the answer was the song shyren sang when she attacked you, but…I couldn’t remember it, or encounter her again no matter how much I walked around the area. So in the end, I passed it, eventually learning what was there from shyvines, who had gotten it.



This brings me to the climax. The scene in which the Monster Kid almost dies and you save him. I’ll admit, when Undyne appeared, I was so scared that I thought of running and leaving that kid to hopefully be saved by Undyne. Looking back I really like how genuinely terrified I was of her. But in the end, I decided to save him, and I’m glad I did. It was a touching scene for sure.



Then came the battle, ah I loved the Undyne battle so much. I loved how by this point you’re more determined to spare so you’re going to try really hard, while she’s also determined to kill you, so she’ll be trying hard. I also love the way that she mocks you befriending others, and I remember during her whole spiel before the battle I thought a lot about Flowey saying what happens when I encounter a relentless killer. This was it, the ultimate climactic battle against the leader of the royal guard, the most stubborn killer you’ve encountered, what your whole journey was for, and this was the big test of my determination and mercy, and I aimed to give it my all, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!



And holy moly this battle. The mechanics of this one were so cool and fun, and aw man I loved it. Those yellow arrows though, the ones that reverse attack you screwed me over so hard, and I was so bad at them. Like many, I tried talking to her and sparing her as much as I could, but eventually that point came in which she was saying the same thing every time I spared her, and I wasn’t sure what to do. I remember thinking I’d hold firm, and that I’d not fall like this…but then I used my last healing item. Well…aside from the Butterscotch Cinnamon Pie and the snowman piece. But I did not want to use those, and did not plan to! When my health was low I frantically looked around at every option, wondering if there was anything I could do to not fight. As I looked around, I saw the Flee button and wondered… With no other option, I tried fleeing and…I stood there…than she ran at me and told me to stop running? Hm…I quickly saw this seemed to be something, and after fleeing a few more times, I got it! I ran ahead and made it and was able to get past her and spare her, and pheeeeeew, what a battle. It was amazing, the most intense battle yet, and I was so so relieved and happy when I had done it, oh goodness…

Had to take a little break after that haha, but ah I was excited on my return. Once I was refreshed, I continued on!



Afterwards I advanced towards the lab and met Alphys and Mettaton. Mettaton was…interesting…to say the least. I was very surprised by him. You see when Alphys spoke of him as some great killing machine I was really really scared, and again thought of what Flowey said. Then he appeared and he was…a show business person?



The quiz was utterly terrifying, I remember getting the first one wrong and lost half my health, and then being really scared with the next question. Luckily, I think I got the next one right, and then during the next one (or one after), I noticed Alphys’ help, and thankfully got through there alive. Was a really fun neat game, and I quite liked it. I also guessed Alphys’ crush to be the human, like most do. :p

Afterwards, I looked through the lab and prepared to go to Hot Land!....until suddenly, my dear friend shyvines notified me of something. See, we both completed the Undyne battle at roughly the same time, and unlike me, he had remembered and was curious about the phone call Papyrus gives you about hanging out with Undyne at her place. He went ahead and completed the scene, and told me that it was really great and that I should definitely do it before continuing. So I did, and boy am I glad I did it this way by accident. I got to meet Alphys, such that when Undyne mentioned her I knew who she was talking about, and the Undyne battle was still very fresh in my mind, as was her character, so it was kind of perfect. A huge thanks to my friend for that!



This scene was really really cool. I remember as it hit me that this was similar to the date with Papyrus, I was super curious to know how Undyne would befriend me. Cause like, she hates my guts and wants me dead, and seems really set in her ways and like a really strong person…how do I befriend her?



In the end, I really really loved how it was done, and this scene really stuck with me. I loved how you needed Papyrus’ help to do so, and that it had to be framed as a challenge for her to try to befriend you and open up to you and such. I also really loved all the options you can take here and I had to actually think a lot about some of them, unlike the options during Papyrus’ date. I remember with the spear I chose everything but the drinks to see the great dialogue, and then I happened to choose all the drinks but tea, and then tea ended up being the way to go, so that worked out.



I also really loved the choices you have when you cook, coming down to cooking it either really rough or really soft. One of the great conversations I had with shyvines during our play was regarding the fact that we chose the opposite choices here, and why we did.



I chose the rough hardcore cooking choices, because A) I figured that Undyne would like that; this was kind of like a competition to her so let’s get into it and have fun with it together, B) I also figured Undyne would love to see my strong passionate side brought out with her as I give mercy a pass for this deadly food, and C) it was just really fun to do, and I loved that I got to throw aside the “be merciful to all” morals for a bit just to have fun and express myself in a way that we both could enjoy. It reminded me of this close friend I have whom I act differently around. With him, I get to be more silly and dramatic and masculine and what not, and it’s fun to do sometimes and can feel like a breath of fresh air, and I really value his companionship. So I really really loved that this was how you bond with Undyne, and it resulted in me going from thinking she was interesting to loving her to death and wanting to get to know her more and more. I thought it was amazing that this scene that’s meant to be Undyne growing to like you also had me grow to like her, and quite a lot at that. She was hilarious, awesome, and a total badass that cared about her friends and the monsters, and I wanted to see her more and more. That’s good game design.



Quick disclaimer, I hope my friend doesn't mind me sharing their reasons and choices, please let me know if so, but anyways! It was really cool because my friend chose the opposite choices, and they told me it was because they thought that she liked to be in control and be the one leading the cooking, so why not be gentle and let them take initiative while we just enjoy the ride? And I love that I could completely understand that and see why someone would choose that and why Undyne would like that, and they could understand my reasoning as well! It felt like there was no wrong choice and both had their own reasons for being right and….ah man, those are my favorite choices ever, so this was sooooo coooool and so interesting and I thought way too much about it. ;w;

I later learned as well that my good friend questing chose to be rough as well, with I believe their logic being that it was probably what Undyne wanted. Really cool the way we interpret and react to things and people differently, and I wonder what that says about us and how we interact with people. Games that have you think about that stuff are so wonderful.



Anyways! I loved how things ended with you burning her poor house down, and unlike say Toriel and Alphys who would be sad and worried about this, Undyne just says that was awesome and fun and I had to agree, and aw man, that perfectly shows her character and why she’s a great friend with great qualities. She’s really fun and allows you to not worry about things and just have a good time, and aw man, I love the way this game shows the good sides to every character’s personality in these scenes and just aaaaahhhh. I loved this scene so much and it stuck with me so much, this was another moment in which I fell in love with Undertale and its lovely world and inhabitants, yay Undyne, you're so fun and great. <3


And….that feels like a perfect place to end things, so I’ll end the Waterfall segment here. Next, I venture into Hotland to detail my experience there!

No comments:

Post a Comment