Saturday, January 25, 2014

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Analyzing Endings - Bats

Boy it's been way too long since I posted here, apologies to all my readers for taking so long! I hope I haven't let the both of you down too much. Anyways, let's get on with it eh?


Ah Bats, what an odd episode this is. This was one of my most anticipated MLP epsiodes, and well, it’s not that surprising when you look at my name. This is the first and perhaps only Applejack and Fluttershy episode we’ll get, so my hype levels were through the roof. And I remember after I first watched the episode, my initial reaction was well………………shock.

And really, whose wasn’t? I was expecting a character focused episode, and instead got a plot focused one. I was expecting a focus on the character interactions of Fluttershy and Applejack, and instead got a focus on Fluttershy turning into a friggin bat. I was expecting a sort of happy duet like song between Fluttershy and Applejack on their friendship, and instead got an unsettling conflict oriented song with the mane 6 all ganging up on Fluttershy. In that regard, Pinkie Apple Pie was really everything I was hoping Bats would be, which is why I loved that episode, while this one……well, Bats you see is an episode in which I’m still not fully sure how I feel about it.

But! Let’s toss all that aside for the moment and focus on what I thought was the most important and most interesting part of this episode; the ending. The ending itself is simple; after Fluttershy and Applejack battle it out and list their opposing views on the bats; Applejack wanting the bats gone while Fluttershy thinks they should be shown kindness, Applejack decides to go with Fluttershy’s plan realizing the errors of her ways, and builds a separate area in the orchard for the bats. But the thing is………..we’re never completely told how she reached that conclusion. While most would call that lazy writing, and honestly, it probably is, I like to see it in a different light. You see open endings are something I tend to really like. They leave you much to speculate and wonder on, give you something to think about and discuss with others and see their interpretations of things, and they allow you to think more about what you just watched, and think why things went the way they did. And well, as someone who loves it when stories make you think, open endings have always been good in my book for this reason.


So getting back to this ambiguous ending of Bats, the purpose of this write up will be to focus on this one simple thing, that being, my own interpretation of the ending of Bats, and why I thought it went the way it did. I wondered a lot about this you see, as many of my favorite stories have me do. Examples of this are Crossroads of Destiny from Avatar: The Last Airbender, which prompted me to write a giant essay on the mystery of Zuko’s choice. Another one would be The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000, who’s lack of moral forced me to think hard about if there really was one and what it was. One day I’ll finally write that up and post my analysis of that episode, but until then, let’s focus on Bats, an episode that left me with tons to think about, and one I’ll certainly be thinking of for a long long time:




To start, we’ll begin with a certain part of the episode I paid a lot of attention to, that being the character of Fluttershy. Being my favorite, of course I paid careful attention to her actions, but even more than that, I watched the actions of her friends, and it had me wondering many things. So focusing on Fluttershy, let’s take a look at the first half of the episode. Due to the episode’s one of two central themes being peer pressure, Fluttershy is really pressured a lot by her friends to give in to Applejack’s demands, maybe moreso than usual for the sake of the story. But when looking at the effect this had on Fluttershy, I couldn’t help but wonder…………was Flutterbat sort of……inevitable?


Here’s what I mean. We see Fluttershy constantly conflicted as a result of her friends pressuring her. In the song when they’re all sort of starring her down she’s downright terrified and shaking, almost as if on the verge of tears. She clearly doesn’t want to go through with the plan, and especially doesn’t want to play a part in making it happen. This hesitation is seen all the way to the end, when she apologizes a lot to the bats upon using the stare on them. And I wonder……what would any person do in this scenario?


Pardon the personal nature of this, but I can’t help but see Fluttershy the way I see myself, as this show is just really great like that, and I really connect with the characters, especially her. But getting back to Fluttershy and the point I’m trying to make, if I was in Fluttershy’s shoes, I would be friggin pissed at my so called “friends” for forcing me to do something I really didn’t want to do against my will, and ganging up on me and seeming to toss my opinions under the rug. And going off of this, I think Fluttershy felt similar. There’s a line before the mane 6 use the spell on the bats, in which Rarity calls the bats icky, and Fluttershy sarcastically remarks in a quiet voice that she’s wrong. Hearing that made Fluttershy angry, but being the shy person she is she holds it in, letting it fester inside. This is pretty much exactly how I’ve handled these sorts of situations in the past, and knowing what came next in my own experiences with this, it well…..makes Flutterbat seem inevitable, and not so different from myself.


When you’re angry at friends and feel betrayed, but don’t speak up about it and hold it in, these feelings can morph inside you, twist and turn and fester and grow as you dwell on them, never able to get them out, and they can turn a simple annoyance with someone into a passionate hatred. This I know from experience, as it’s a large reason as to why I have a bit of a hatred for Rainbow Dash. When you have a simple dislike of something, and then meet tons of fans of it and hold in all your disagreement and dislike for it in the face of them for their sake, your feelings can morph from a simple dislike into a great hatred, and this has happened with me many times before (but I’ve gotten better at it, so don’t worry about me and think I’m some angry monster, because I’m not……no really I’m not……..seriously I’m fine, don’t think I am, I’M NOT ANGRY YOU HEAR ME, SHUT UP (that was a joke (IT WAS))).

Anyways, getting back to our star character, what I said above is exactly what I think was happening to Fluttershy. Had Fluttershy continued down this path, I predict she would grow more and more annoyed at the mane 6, unable to forgive them for being so rude to her, unable to let these dark feelings out, and as a result, would grow to hate them more and more, and well, their friendship would die, with Fluttershy turning into a sort of monster around them that hates their guts, like…..well……Flutterbat.


Which brings us to Flutterbat, the main point of this episode. Did Flutterbat have any sort of big narrative significance in the story and its characters? Well, being the deep thinker I am, I like to think yes, and looking at what I’ve already said, I hope you can guess where I’m going with this. Flutterbat I see as a symbol, a symbol to represent what Fluttershy will become if the mane 6 continue to pressure her like this, and she continues to not stand up for herself. And this kind of makes a lot of metaphorical sense given other details that revolve around Flutterbat. The mane 6 are the ones who caused this to happen due to their carelessness, and I see this as not just carelessness in planning, but also carelessness in being a good friend. The mane 6 also couldn’t save Fluttershy on their own, and they needed her abilities in order to save her, just like when someone has well, been wrapped up in negative emotions, the greatest key to saving them is well, themself. And in that sense, I like seeing the mirror scene as not just mirrors used to reflect the stare, but mirrors used to remind Fluttershy of who she is, and that she is not a monster deep down and must remain in control of herself and her emotions.


Okay so AppleShy, you’ve spent tons of time now discussing the episode without once talking about the ending, which you said was the whole point of this write up! I know I know, I’m getting to that, shush shush sorry sorry, we’re getting there, stick with me please! Okay so, with this interpretation of Flutterbat in mind, and what it represents for her character, let’s take a look at the 2nd half of the episode again. Applejack and the others go forth with their short term plan, but in their haste, a mistake happens, something they didn’t see coming…..Fluttershy turns into a bat. Yes indeed, as a result of their actions of pressuring Fluttershy, she has lost control of herself and now sees the mane 6 as no friend of hers. With this in mind, the mane 6 must find a way to save her, or they’ll lose a friend of theirs forever, and thus lose harmony.

And indeed, this was foreshadowed since the beginning wasn’t it? By going against Fluttershy, the very element of kindness, and forcing her to compile with the other elements, they tainted kindness itself, causing it to pop up a wall between it and the other elements, and harmony had been lost. And I like to think Applejack saw this. Seeing Fluttershy turn into a bat, seeing the monster she had become as a result of AJ’s short sighted actions that disregarded Fluttershy’s opinion and beliefs, I think this is what made Applejack begin to change. Applejack saw in those moments that while she was sticking to her family and values which was right and perfectly in tune with her element of honesty, she was also going against her friend and sending their friendship to death by pressuring poor Fluttershy so much.


There is a line in this episode that I think shows this change of heart well. At one point, Applejack remarks that she just wants her friend back, showing not just regret at accidentally turning her friend into a bat, but I think also regret at pressuring Fluttershy to go against what she wanted and being a generally bad friend to her. Applejack now sees the wall Fluttershy has put up, and she wants it down.


In the end, Applejack must give up her great prized apple she’s been saving up just for the competition in order to save her friend. It’s kind of admirable how quickly and decisively Applejack does this as well, declaring that she cares more about her friend then her orchard, really powerful coming from she who is all about her apple family and farm, and I thought it was a really great moment for her in that regard.

And with this in mind we also see why Fluttershy’s plan was the better of the 2. Had the mane 6 gone along with Fluttershy’s plan, Applejack would have lost some of the orchard, but she also would have been able to keep her great big apple as it is. Fluttershy’s plan gave up a bit of apples in the short term for the sake of preserving the big apple, the long term. But Applejack’s plan did just the opposite. While it saved the apples and trees for a while by eliminating the Bats’ hunger, the side effect of Flutterbat caused her to lose her great apple. Applejack’s plan achieved short term goals at the expense of the long term ones.


But more importantly then that, I think Applejack went with Fluttershy’s solution at the end of the episode not because it was better in the long term, but because it’s what her friend wanted, and it was the better choice had she considered Fluttershy’s views more seriously. Applejack did it not because it was best for her farm, but because it was best for her friendship with Fluttershy, and that was what was most important to her, as she stated in the episode. She wanted the forgiveness of Fluttershy more than anything, and I think that was the main reason she went with Fluttershy’s plan at the end, that is my own interpretation of the ending of this episode.


And with this interpretation in mind, I like how this episode then really parallels Keep Calm & Flutter On, my favorite Fluttershy episode. For both Applejack and Discord went through similar trials in learning of the magic of friendship. Both had and took advantage of Fluttershy’s kindness for their own selfish usage, both went too far and as a result Fluttershy grew annoyed with them and sought to end their friendship, and both then realized how important Fluttershy is to them and how much they don’t want to lose what they have, so they make the choice of making a great sacrifice to remain her friend, and learned one of the most important lessons of friendship, that sometimes you can’t always do what you want, and have to listen to and follow what others want.


Speaking of Keep Calm & Flutter On, it’s interesting how that is another Fluttershy episode in which all of the mane 6 gang up on Fluttershy isn’t it? Is it just me or is Fluttershy the only pony to have her so called friends always gang up on her? I wondered about this mystery for a while and why that is, but then it hit me, doesn’t this make perfect sense given the characters and their core personalities? Fluttershy is the meekest and shyest of the group, and would perhaps have the most trouble voicing her opinions in a way the group can understand as a result. If there is a pony among the mane 6 that can be ganged up on a bit too much as a result of her having trouble getting the rest to understand and get behind her, it’s Fluttershy. And if there’s an element that has trouble showing that others are wrong while they are right, since it’s meant to be kind to all, it’s the element of kindness. 


So with this in mind, I think Fluttershy being ganged up on actually makes a lot of sense given the core character traits of the mane 6. Given also that Twilight seems to back the most logical choice, and Rainbow and Appejack also seem like the kind to back the strong who will get things done and not the weak, it makes sense Fluttershy would have difficulty getting them to come to an understanding with her. Only through seeing how much it means to her and how much it hurts to be disagreed with and forced to agree can the rest of the mane 6 see how important Fluttershy’s beliefs are to her, and how they should seriously consider them even if they can at times not make sense to them. It’s a fantastic message that I think factors into everything, the theme of thinking in long term and not short term, the theme of standing up for yourself, and most of all, the theme of the magic of friendship which flows through the entire show. While both Applejack and Fluttershy learned something about themselves, I think they also both learned about how to be a good friend, Applejack especially, which is why she decided to build that orchard for the bats and remain great friends with Fluttershy. I think it’s really beautiful the way it all ties in together and well, after typing all this up and reading it, I can’t help but love this episode now, if only for the write up it let me make. I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I did, and well, here’s to more great fun MLP episodes to think and discuss about!


Sources for the Wonderful Images I was able to find:

http://inky-pinkie.deviantart.com/art/Flutterbat-Sketch-422882775
http://joyfulinsanity.deviantart.com/art/Prove-Them-Wrong-423785167
http://www.deviantart.com/art/FiM-Elements-of-Harmony-Wallpaper-With-Mane-6-278078431

No comments:

Post a Comment