Saturday, February 15, 2014

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - Analyzing Themes - Simple Ways


Simple Ways is a really interesting MLP episode for me, because I didn’t have much of an idea of what to expect from it going in, and didn’t think it would hit me hard, but looking at it now, wow did it surprise me and hit me hard. All I knew beforehand was that it would be an episode about relationships, something the show has stayed away from for the most part, and something I think many fans preferred to stay that way. So when I heard there would be an episode about not just relationships and crushes, but with a bit of a love triangle, I must admit, I was a little scared and uncertain, not knowing what to expect. But the more I thought about this episode, and what it did with its themes and morals, the more I found myself falling head over heels in love with this episode, and for this analysis, I shall explain why, and speak of the  conclusions I reached.

When I watched Simple Ways, the biggest thing that hit me about this episode was……how lightly it treated relationships. Before this episode aired I looked around the brony community and was seeing all this worry, all this great panic and uncertainty, all this doubt and wonder if this would be a terrible thing, and all I could see was that, this was a really big deal to people. Relationships are often very important to us, so it made sense that people would be pretty emotional about this one. And I think from that, I was expecting MLP to be like other romantic stories I’ve seen, ones where the relationship is a big deal, where it’s the character’s whole life, and where characters go through so much to be with the one they love and make it to that happy ending with them. And I couldn’t help but notice that…….Simple Ways was nothing like that, was it?

In Simple Ways, the crush of Rarity on Trenderhoof and Trenderhoof on Applejack was treated so much more lightly then I was expecting. There was no great gasp or shock at Rarity having a pony she fawns over, nothing made Rarity’s crush seem like a huge deal and a big thing to anyone other than her, it was treated as if it was something she always has, something everyone has, and above all, something that is perfectly normal and nothing to make a great deal out of, and I…..really really liked this.


One thing I thought a lot about this episode before going in was, what the moral was going to be. Now that they’re tackling the big serious relationships in the show, what sort of grand epic powerful moral will they tell us all on this great subject? And then when I saw the moral…….I saw that, the moral wasn’t anything special at all. Not like well, not that it wasn’t special, I wasn’t trying to say that, please don’t think that I’m so sorry, it was special it was, don’t get me wrong. Random emotional paranoia aside, the moral was special, but like, the moral itself was one you could so easily give to that of friends, and wasn’t something that was exclusive to relationships. After all, many times friends feel they must change themselves a lot to stay friends with someone, and can get too involved with a friends life despite just being friends.

The lack of a big emphasis on relationships has really made me think a lot about how MLP sees relationships. The way the moral is similar to that we’ve seen applied to friendships many many times (Call of the Cutie, Read It And Weep, episodes about staying true to yourself despite hard conditions or really wanting to change for others, etc.), the way no pony treats the crushes as if they are a big deal, I feel like a core theme of the episode as a result of all this, is that well, relationships are seen as friendships, just with some twists on them here and there.

And you know what? I love that. That is awesome, and I think that is how I see relationships too. They’re not this super special thing society likes to make out as some sort of grand goal of life to be happy and loved, they’re just a different kind of friendship, one that consists of some great attraction sometimes, and nothing more.

And here is once again the magic of MLP, and why I love this show so much. While most stories I feel would focus on the relationship, focus on these two finding love, whatever that is, and focus on who ends up with who in these so wonderfully lovable love triangles (sarcasm), MLP decides to throw all that out the window, and instead focus on the effects of the great attraction associated with relationships, the main thing that separates relationships from friendships, and what sort of effect it can have on people and friends.


For isn’t that what happens to all of us at some point with relationships? With this great attraction we can have towards people, we’re often put in a situation in which we feel greatly in love with some pony, but they feel nothing for us, or we have some pony who seems to think they’re greatly in love with us, despite us not really feeling anything for them (I know using some pony instead of someone can be weird but I don’t care it’s so ingrained in my mind I’m such a lost brony, it’s who I am, which the episode said I shouldn’t be afraid of, so I’m saying it, deal with ittttttttttttttt! (please don’t hurt me I’m sorry)). And instead of simply focusing on one side of relationships, Simple Ways does the awesome thing and decides to focus on both, in the character arcs of our two main characters; Rarity and Applejack.


Rarity represents the side of relationships that involves great love being given, but none being returned. She has a huge attraction to Trenderhoof that causes her to begin seeing him as her world, and she goes as far as she can, doing all sort of seemingly selfless, kind, and generous things to make him happy and be someone he will love. But no matter how hard she tries, her efforts seem futile, and I think the episode does a wonderful job of showing just how utterly painful this is. The real tragedy of it all is that no matter how many times Trenderhoof turns down Rarity, she never gives up, she never stops hoping, like a child hopelessly thinking things will work out when they won’t, she clings to this dream so much. And this is something I see many do in our own world, so I really love that they did that with Rarity here for the sake of the story and moral, as it went a long way in letting this hit home with many I’m sure.

And then Applejack is the opposite, she represents the side of relationships that involve a great love being given to you by someone else, but not being able to return them. Trenderhoof is hopelessly attracted to AJ and feels he must do whatever he can to get her to like him and make her happy, and as nice as it seems, you can’t help but see how frustrating it is for her. How hard it is to have to deal with someone who won’t leave you alone and give you space, someone who just can’t accept that things won’t work out and move on. I can’t help but see a parallel to Spike at Your Service when Spike feels hugely in debt to Applejack but ends up only causing trouble with his “selfless” acts. This parallel further drives home the point that relationships are similar to friendships, the theme I thinks this episode has, but more than that, shows the great trouble and tragedies in being in this situation. Applejack doesn’t only have to put with Trenderhoof’s attention, she also has to deal with him, for reasons completely out of her control. Because Trenderhoof has this great attraction to her, now she has to put up with him, and has to break his heart by saying she doesn’t return his feelings. And as someone who’s been in this situation many times, this can be soooooooo hard, and I totally understand AJ not telling Trenderhoof the truth until the end, because hurting someone else, especially one trying so hard for you, well, it hurts. And I really really like how it was so hard for AJ to do that, she didn’t even do it. She had a friend there, Rarity, who was able to help her to do it and do it when she struggled, something a true friend would most definitely do. 


And as these 2 parallel arcs progress and converge, we see the dangers of love. When Rarity begins doing everything she can for Trenderhoof, she begins causing Applejack even more trouble in her haste to prepare the farm for the celebration, and above all, begins to hurt the many parts of her life. Rarity begins changing who she is to someone she’s not, and someone she truly doesn’t enjoy being, and she also begins changing her friendships, beginning to create damage and turmoil with Applejack, and the longer the episode goes on, the more clear it becomes that if Rarity does nothing but give in to these feelings, she will lose everything she’s built up with her wonderful life.

In enters Applejack, the one to save her. Similar to Spike at Your Service, while AJ tries to gently put off Trenderhoof and let him go, in an attempt to not hurt him too much, she’s able to get nowhere, and her attempts prove futile as she is eventually left with being the one who has to lay down the cold hard truth in order to save herself. More than that though, she has to save her friend, and one thing I found oh so interesting about this episode was how she did it. Rarity was so absorbed and at the mercy of her feelings that reasoning with her seemed impossible, so instead of doing that, AJ decides to show Rarity the truth through showing, and not telling.


And I like how AJ does this, don’t try and counter feelings with thinking, counter it with other feelings, the feelings of friendship Rarity has for her friend. Applejack being the one to completely change herself is kind of real fitting isn’t it? No other pony identifies so much with being who they are, being part of their family, and being true to themselves then the element of honesty herself, Applejack. Seeing Applejack abandon her entire home, tradition, etc. is such a silly crazy thing to do, that I like to think Rarity couldn’t help but take notice, see how wrong this for her friend, and want to help. This is why she spoke up so much when AJ said she was such a fine high class pony, she couldn’t stand to see her friend change so much and be so silly.

Of course that’s not the only thing going on in Rarity’s mind. Knowing exactly what Applejack is planning, she resists, clinging to her feelings of hope that what she’s doing is right and wanting to prove everything right by getting with Trenderhoof. But Applejack knows among all others that, even if Rarity was with someone she truly loved, if she was stuck doing things she hated for the rest of her life as a result, she’d never be truly happy, well, at least in my opinion, which could be wrong, so don’t take my word for it (please don’t!!!!!!!!!!!!!).


The climax of the entire story comes when Rarity splashes mud on Applejack’s dress. In her haste and want to be with Trenderhoof so so bad and prove she’s right she messes up something that’s really important to her, not just a dress, but her great friend’s dress. I think Rarity was so hit by this precisely because it was her good friend Applejack who had just had her nice clean dress stained, and using their friendship to open Rarity’s eyes I thought was a mark of brilliance, and has it tie in with the shows main theme beautifully. In seeing the damage she’s done, Rarity’s eyes are opened to what she’s been doing, and how much she is going against everything she stands for, and how wrong this is for her life. Applejack learns she should have been more upfront and honest about the lost cause for Trenderhoof and Rarity to stop them from destroying themselves, and more importantly, Rarity learns that as nice as relationships are, they are not worth throwing your life away for.

And really that well, that ties it all together doesn’t it? As I said at the start of this, I like to think there was this huge subtle theme in this episode of relationships not being as important as we make them out to be. They are just like a friendship in which you really like someone, but they aren’t the entire world. They aren’t worth destroying your friendship for, aren’t worth changing all your plans for, and above all, aren’t worth changing who you are for. As the episode states, true friends, and true relationship partners given how similar they are, will accept and love you for who you are, and not what you are, and I think that’s a beautiful message we can’t help but all relate to, and I love it to death.


And the more I look at this episode and think about it, the more I see all these wonderful subtle themes about relationships that I love. In fact, let me go through some of them right now. One nice example is that well, relationships don’t always work out, and that sometimes you have to move on.

Stories often have this thing where a character meets someone they’re attracted to, and then go on to do everything they can for this one person, and have it all work out. It’s nice and sweet and all but, in my own personal opinion, I don’t think that’s quite how life is, and I would say it’s rare if anything for someone’s first crush to be the one they end up with for the rest of their life. Showing Rarity now have crushes on two different ponies (Prince Blueblood and Trenderhoof), and have neither work out, but have her move on, is an excellent excellent thing to show I think. More than anything I think it says that relationships aren’t about trying as hard as you can to be with the one you love (though that’s certainly an important part), but that it’s about being able to move on and never stop searching, never let your passion for love leave despite how many failures you encounter, and I like to think Rarity will have more crushes in the future. It does a wonderful job of showing us that it’s okay to mess up with relationships, and that moving on is a great skill to have for finding the right person for us, and I love it.

Speaking of, do you know how wonderful it is that the moral was stating that often times a pony won’t like a pony who constantly changes who they are for them? That goes in the face of so many romantic clichés that I couldn’t help but love it to death, yes, thank you so much MLP, do not tell everyone they should change who they are and be at the complete mercy of those they think they are in love with, that is not someone many people will like. People want someone who’s stable, confident, and above all, content with themselves and not feeling they have to constantly change, and I love that they threw this in there, as I think it’s a very good message to show everyone.

And another nice little theme I took away from this is that well, relationships aren’t for everyone, and that some will be more into them than others. Rarity has been built up as a character with a thing for crushes, there was Prince Blueblood in Season 1, and now Trenderhoof in Season 4. Relationships are clearly important to her. And AJ is the opposite, she’s never had a crush throughout the run of this show, never seen a stallion as more than a friend or family member, and it’s clear relationships aren’t as important to her. And most importantly, above all of that, neither are better nor worse for it.


One of my favorite things about My Little Pony Friendship is Magic, is this beautiful underlying message the show has of how okay it is to be who you are. The fact that, you can be a great main character even if you are nerdy and a book worm, or a hard working farmer, a shy animal lover, or a guy who wastes hours ranting on a show about candy colored ponies and how serious and thought provoking it is (not subtle enough?), etc. etc. There’s no one best way to live life as many stories like to say there is, and the show is instead about how the best way to live your life, is to be yourself, something no story taught me personally as much as this one did. And that theme is seen so well again here. By making Rarity the one who’s consistently having crushes, she and Spike are now examples of characters with crushes who, don’t see them fully fulfilled, but can still live on happily despite that. Shining Armor and Cadence then are examples of crushes who are with somepony they love and live happily together, and the rest of the mane 6 are examples of characters who don’t have much interest in crushes, and are perfectly happy and stable living their life on their own. There is no one best way to live life when it comes to relationships, and well, in my own personal biased opinion, I think this is kind of the coolest message ever, and so perfectly ties in with all other themes of the show, and does a wonderful job in helping many like myself to grow to be more accepting and happy with who I am, and god damnit MLP, stop changing my life and making me a better person, I can’t even begin to describe how much I love you for doing that to me <3

Random gush of love aside though, the more I think about Simple Ways, the more I find myself loving its themes to death. By taking the ultra serious this is everything life is about relationships and diminishing their importance by characterizing them as nothing out of the ordinary and not that different from friendships, the episode is able to convey so many themes at once, the importance of not losing yourself in the emotions, the importance of turning someone down to not string them along a lost cause, the importance of good friends in these tough times, the importance of being able to move on, and above all, learning that relationships just aren’t as big a deal as society likes to make them out to be, and that you can be perfectly happy and content without them, and that you can still feel love and feel loved as long as you have a wonderful friend by your side to help you along your journey, as Applejack did to Rarity, and Rarity did to Applejack.

Well, at least that’s what I say, I may be biased though as one who’s never been in a relationship and may have never felt true romantic love, but this is well, everything I took away from this episode, and everything I love about it. Simple Ways is a fantastic episode that shows why I love Friendship is Magic, taking a common trope and putting excellent spins on it, giving me so much to think about so that I can belt out an essay on it in no time (seriously this is the fastest I’ve posted an analysis of an episode right after it airs) and well, I can see this episode becoming one of my favorites as a result. Thank you so much Friendship is Magic, just, thank you <3




Credits for the fantastic fan art go to these lovely artists:

http://yajimaspm.deviantart.com/art/Simple-Ways-432791396
http://cogbrony.deviantart.com/art/Simple-and-Sophisticated-432856650
http://lessue.tumblr.com/post/76097414207

No comments:

Post a Comment