Friday, May 9, 2014

Analyzing Zelda Dungeons: Tower of Hera

Wait what is this, AppleShy what are you doing now!? Shush shush shush, let me explain! So if you haven’t noticed I’ve been madly into the newest Zelda game lately, geez what a game, everyone go play it. And it’s got me thinking a lot about Zelda, what I like about it and such. And one thing I noticed when I replayed all the Mario RPGs a few years ago, was that I really loved the dungeons and areas with great moments of atmosphere. I don’t know why but I just love it in games when they have great real atmospheres. And as I thought of Zelda and what I like about it, I noticed this trend continue, as one of my favorite parts of Zelda is when it has powerful moments of atmosphere, and for me at least, the moments that tend to have the best atmospheres, are the dungeons.

Dungeons are an incredibly important part of Zelda to me, the deep and complicated things they are. And as I fell head over heels in love with A Link Between Worlds, one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much was that well, I loved its dungeons. And so, as I replay the game on Hero Mode, I would like to randomly rant on my favorite dungeons as I replay them, and why I enjoyed them so much. So without further ado, let’s start with the first; the Tower of Hera.




For me what makes dungeons and atmospheres great is always having a theme. A clear cut theme that you can find in so many parts of the area that you can see perfectly why this area conveyed such feelings onto you. A theme that if you look hard enough, you can find scattered throughout its many little parts to connect it all together for a beautiful real place.

And as I replayed the Tower of Hera, the core theme I got from the dungeon was…….grand, something big, something large scale, etc. Look at the name for the beginning of this, it’s not called a dungeon, it’s a tower. Towers are known to be very large structures that can go up very very high and well, are big. Right there is the beginning, but the more I explored, the more I got the impression that I was in a great large structure. To my knowledge, Tower of Hera has more floors than any other dungeon in A Link Between Worlds, and with how quickly you climb them, it’s almost like you’re climbing up a set of stairs. And the higher you get, the more it feels like this place is huge, and that you could go higher and higher like there’s no end to this grand place you’ve found yourself in.

But when the atmosphere really hit home, and when I was just amazed at how real it all felt, was when you leave the tower. There are certain points in the dungeon in which you go outside and must travel on slow platforms that go around the tower to enter in different areas. You’ll use the wall ability as well, but when you’re outside, you really get the sense that you’re on something huge and that this is a very big very high up place you’ve entered. As you travel on the platforms you see clouds below that are everywhere, covering up the tower so that you can only see part of it below you. Just not being able to see what’s below you fully due to the clouds says so much about how high you are up and about how scary this is, you’re up very very high, and the last thing you want to do is fall.



The other thing that really does a great job of conveying the atmosphere is the music. When you’re outside of the dungeon, you can hear some ambient sounds signaling that you’re outside and that there are clouds around you, you can hear the wind blowing through you. I think the music might get a little quieter too, but having that greater focus on ambience and calming down the music does a really great job of tensing you up, making you even more scared to fall to the great unknown below, which you can’t even see as you climb up it.


Speaking of music though, let’s talk about the music. Music is often one of the best ways to convey an atmosphere in game I’ve found, and for Zelda dungeons this is no exception. Tower of Hera does this wonderfully, with its song that is also in 2 other dungeons. I’ve always thought the Hyrule dungeon theme works best with the Tower of Hera, due to one thing I love so so much about the song, and that’s how ambient it starts. As I listen to it right now, it takes about a whole 40 seconds before the main melody of the song starts playing and there’s music. That’s 40 seconds of you beginning to explore, taking in this giant tower you’ve just entered, and letting those soft yet powerful sounds play in the background. The melody itself then has a very slow feel to it, signaling that you’re finally beginning to understand what to do in the dungeon, and are ready to make the climb up, and it also sounds like that you’d hear as you slowly tip toe through a grand place, and what grander dungeon is there then the Tower of Hera?

Indeed, the Tower of Hera is so huge and grand that you’ll frequently be traveling between its floors, something the 3DS is able to show beautifully, and I don’t think any dungeon has you moving up and down between its floors as much as the Tower of Hera. Having such puzzles that require you going up and down more than you would left and right continues the theme of this tall great place you’re in, and gives you a real strong feeling that this is a giant place, and that there is a lot to see by going up to its highest peak.



But those aren’t the only puzzles, a lot of the puzzles revolve around the central dungeon item, the Hammer. And of course, being a dungeon I love, I think the Hammer matches the theme of the dungeon perfectly. For one thing, I noticed as I replayed the dungeon just how much……..slower the hammer is compared to other items. Granted it’s not a lot but, compared to the say arrows or bombs or boomerang or many rods you’ll be using, where when you hit the attack button the item is used like that, when you use the Hammer, Link has to pull it back for a few seconds and then slam it down hard. It takes a much greater force to use, and it’s a very tiny thing, but to me it continued the theme, in which you use this great slow but powerful item, and that only it can work in this great place, shows even more how grand the entire structure is, and what sort of place you’re in.

And the main usage the hammer requires in this dungeon, is hitting you up to the next floor. For indeed, those familiar fun laughing structures are all over the dungeon, in which you must hit them into the ground with your hammer, stand on them, and then be shot straight up to the next floor. And my word, I don’t know if it’s just me but, that whole simple action you use to go up floors feels incredibly satisfying. The loud bang that comes from hitting the face into the floor, and then the loud quick sound that comes as you’re shot up, it just feels incredibly satisfying and fun to do. You’re not just climbing the stairs like any normal dungeon would have, you’re using these great powerful structures to shoot yourself high into the air. These structures that are big and powerful and shoot you far, showing how small you are, really continue the theme of you being in this giant structure that’s far greater then you.



And that’s another thing I noticed while playing the dungeon. Unlike the 2 I played before it, I couldn’t just rush through the Tower of Hera. I had to wait for the spring platforms to spring up and shoot me up, I had to wait for the moving platforms when outside to carry me, and had to move at their slow speed, and I had to wait for the moving blocks to reach me so I could use the wall ability on them to go up. This isn’t a dungeon that you can simply overpower and do at your own pace, this is a dungeon in which you must follow its rules and do it at its own pace if you want to complete it. And it seems like such a small thing but, as I replayed the dungeon, it went so far in conveying the main theme of the dungeon onto me. That I was a small helpless child, at the mercy of this great, powerful, massive tower that I can only hope to climb by its own means, and that I can’t hope to just conquer and defeat by my own. The slower speed I played the game at really helped to drive home how great and powerful this tower was, and that I’m not in your everyday dungeon, but a massive structure, in which I’ll need a massive item to climb its many many floors, and that I’ll have to go up and down its floors over and over if I want to complete it.

Everything about this dungeon from the music to its puzzles to its design to its title and everything just clicked and seemed to surround this theme of you climbing a massive grand tower that goes far far up, and boy did that tower hit me hard. It was incredibly fun and satisfying to climb up and complete, and following the tradition of my favorite A Link Between Worlds dungeons, upon completing it I had to run back in and just go around it more because I loved the atmosphere and general feel of the place so so much. It was simply incredible, and a reminder of why I love Zelda dungeons so much.


Thus ends my first A Link Between Worlds dungeon write up. I hope you enjoyed this, and look forward to more, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment